Friday, January 3, 2014

Leap (of Faith) Year

I was working in the Patron Lounge of a Broadway theatre a few nights ago, serving wine and smiling at theatre goers.

One man asked a fellow intern, "Are you girls actresses?". She said, “No, actually. We both work for the theatre company... in the office. We're in administrative theatre.”

He looked at us for what seemed like quite a while. And then he cocked his head to the side and shrugged, leaned forward, and almost whispered, “Well. That’s smarter. More secure.” I smiled and nodded.

The word “smarter” may as well have been “tragic.” 

“Congratulations, you’ve got the cynical, exhausted resignation of someone three times your age.”

Theatre business is riveting. It's fast paced, it's glamorous and it's fun. A career in this field is a challenging, rewarding and impressive endeavor, if it's your passion and your calling.

My passion and my calling it is not.

I'm glad I've chosen to explore this internship. I've learned a lot, and I've made fantastic friends. I'm excited because it's helped me realize what my true passions are, and are not.


No comments:

Post a Comment